Tuesday, January 8, 2013

After Math - Chapter Nine


Slowly rising out of bed, my body ached and my muscles were stiff. I was very disoriented not sure if I had just woken from a bad dream or not. My eyes hurt from all the crying I had done. I had forgot that Dimitri had said he would stay with me, and sure enough there he sat slumped over in the chair by my bed. I didn't want to wake him with him sleeping so peaceful. 

Trying to be quiet, I turn to put my feet on the ground and when I glance up I find that Dimitri is now awake. "You stayed?" almost sounding shocked in my voice. "I told you that I would," he replied. He looked so tired. He must have just dozed off when I woke him up. His eyes were bloodshot with dark circles under his eyes.

I stretched trying to relax my stiff muscles. I then realized I was still wearing my clothes from yesterday. My dress had wrinkles in it and my makeup was still on. Then realization hits me like a freight train. With a sudden pang of panic and fear I remembered my sister.

With full clarity I shoot up off the bed. "My sister! Did they find my sister," I gasp. "No word yet. They are still looking for them. They haven't found any signs that they have been harmed," he replied softly. "I got to find my parents," I told him as I left the room.

"I'm going to go find my mom," I call out to Dimitri. She would know what was going on. She would not hide anything from me. This just can't be happening, I keep telling myself.

Shes right where I figured she would be. I find her in her study sitting in the bay window. She was so preoccupied with her thoughts that she didn't realize I was there.

"Mom, are you alright?" I say softly almost in a whisper. "I'm doing the best I can, your father is taking it really hard. He's shut himself in his room and no one but his guard is in there. He's grieving pretty bad," she informs me. My father grieving! I have never even seen him cry, this is so shocking to me.

I could tell she had not been to bed by the dark circles under her eyes. Her eyes were blood shot with the tear stains that ran down her cheeks.

Kneeling down in front of her taking her hand into mine. "Mom, don't cry. Shes still alive, I know it. We're twins and if something terrible happened I know I would feel it. We're going to find her. She swallowed back a few tears as she spoke, "I don't know what it is, I just feel like something terrible is going to happen. I just don't think I'll get the chance to see her again. I bet its...............she trailed off staring out the window. Then turning her gaze back to me. They have her, she won't survive. They never do," she chokes out. "That's not true, shes a fighter, you know it. And Luke is with her as well. Not everyone dies, Dimitri didn't," I tell her trying to give her some peace. She still looked grim and forced a small smile. "Your right," she replies weakly.

I finally found my father. He's got that worn look and full of grief look all over him just as my mom had told me. I could see that he too had not been to sleep.

"Dad," I call to him. "Emily," he replies in a horse whisper. "I talked to mom and she seems a little better. How are you handling things?" I asked.

"I don't know what to do, I have send out search party after search party and they can't find her. No one has called demanding any money or even demanding anything. I don't know what to think. he replied. "Are you alright and keeping your guards by your side? I don't see them. Emily!" he huffs. Oh no he's mad and I didn't want to upset him further. "I didn't know you wanted them by my side here on the grounds," I try to sound as innocent as possible. "No at all times, Dimitri, Chris or Sandy must be with you. I don't want you to be left alone, ever," he says with anger radiating through him. "Ok, I promise. I will have them at all times," I reply.

"Just like I told mom, its going to be alright. I know shes still alive. Maybe she got away and shes hiding until she can feel safe to come out. I know shes still alive. Daddy, please don't cry. It's going to be alright. We will find her," I tell him as I force a small smile. "I hope you are right," he replies with a crack in his voice.

3 comments:

  1. I love that pose where Emily leaned down and took her mother's hand. So sweet, trying to comfort her parents when she is so worried herself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow. It seems that Emily is being the strong one. If it were my sister I woudl be a mess.

    Ashby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell me where u got the pose for Emily holding her mom's hand

    ReplyDelete